Busy at home!

This past week has been very fruitful. We arrived home to quite a bit of disorder. First, we unloaded our suitcases which created an amazing pile of laundry and the weeds had grown at least a foot. The bills and newspapers were piled high (of course, we don't pay the bills! However just looking at the stack was discouraging. :) ) and there was no fresh food in the house. Looking through that mail stack, we saw that we had been invited to some really nice events but they were already past! So we dug in to attempt to get our lives under control.

All of this activity put us in the mood for some serious organizing! Before we left for our trip we had been in the going-through-everything mode. We had gone through the toy closet, weeding out several sacks of outgrown toys and with Elizabeth's approval had agreed to give quite a few away. However, even though many toys are outgrown we have to keep the best pickings for our nieces. (Just a side note. We have two chests of dress up clothes which we have acquired over the years and they are always wildly popular! We have 2 pairs of children's wooden shoes from when our grandfather was in Holland and some little wooden Japanese shoes from when he lived in Tokyo over 50 years ago.) Kelly went through our wrapping supplies, downsizing them by half. (They multiply in the cabinet while we are not looking!) Anyway, we had stacked all our giveaways by the back door and then loaded up some more stuff on top of that. Underneath them we found a black electronic box which we weren't quite sure about. It looked old and we just almost loaded it into our van. We wanted to get the load all hauled at once. Don't you just hate straggling details? At the last minute we thought we better ask our dad about it first. A couple of days later when we finally thought to ask him, it turned out to be a very important piece of new equipment that someone had borrowed and upon it's return it had landed in our pile. We told dad how close we came to tossing it. We laughed till we cried, but somehow he still doesn't seem to see the humor in it. :)

Besides our attempts at organization, we have been cooking up some new recipes...Tara decided to try out making bagels for the first time. I must say that they were very tasty and deliciously scrumptious even though they were gluten free! I guess that didn't keep her busy enough so she canned some peaches and made some fresh strawberry jam. We have been eating it on Greek yogurt. Tastes just like ice cream, I think. :)

I made a new potato salad that I have been wanting to try. It is called "The Worlds Best Potato Salad Ever!" Tara said that that title sounded a little presumptuous!" I agreed with her! :-) It might not be as good as your grandmothers but it did turn out to be mighty tasty! The recipe is in the new July issue of Country Living magazine. What a pretty cover. Did you see those little pies? Too bad we are off sugar this year. :(


Yesterday evening I made Lion's Head for dinner (supper if you're up north!). It is recipe #63 in the Rachael Ray 365:no repeats cookbook. It is supposed to take 30 minutes to make but it only took me 2 hours! Thanks Reuben! I made it at his suggestion. He made it the night before as he's doing most of the cooking while Kristen is so sick with nausea. I think it took him a long time too. It is basically a dish with sausage balls and napa cabbage. The sausage balls contain 1/2 pound of shitake mushrooms. Hint: Might want to keep this quiet from your dad, at least for a while.
Psalm 34:8a O taste and see that the Lord is good.

I, Kelly have resumed quilting my quilt while our family reads in the evening and I decided to rearrange my room as well. When Tara saw it she exclaimed that it looked just like a mini hotel room! :-) Hopefully, this is a good thing! I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Speaking of decorating, my mom and I were talking about our family room. We still had spring decorations up, including the chocolate bunny and even red lamp shades from Christmas! Mom and I had been talking about how it is time to move on to summer and how we would like to draw in more yellow. Mom gave me full charge over the decorating and I was given permission and total freedom to transform the family room. How exciting! My thoughts started to flow with new ideas for how to transform it. I will be posting before and after pictures soon once it is finished. Remember to do everything you do heartily as to the Lord! Keep up the creativity in all of your homes and keep the home alive and thriving! Don't lose your vision! Proverbs 4:26 Ponder the path of thy feet and let all thy ways be established.

Many blessings,
Kelly and Tara

Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?

1 comments:

Best Life said...

Ooh! Cleaning and organizing and bringing out the yellow in the family room?! You're speaking my love language! LOL!

I wish I was there to help. Knowing you, it'll all be done by the time I come in a few weeks and I can see all of your lovely touches. I can't wait to get a look at that quilt in progress...and the hotel style room. Love, Mrs. P~

About

This blog is the place where four sisters share the ways that God is working in their lives.

Contact Daughters Of Vision

Please contact us through comments! Thank you. ~Daughters of Vision