What is our focus?


My dear sisters,
Greetings!

I pray you are enjoying a wonderful day in the Lord.

In my Bible reading lately the Lord has been really impressing an important truth upon my heart.

Isn't it amazing how the Lord will keep teaching us the same truth in different ways so hopefully we'll get it?
I think I shared with you recently how we heard an illustration that really touched us. You have a container and some large rocks and a whole bag of pebbles that you want to put into it. If you start by pouring in the pebbles, then when you want to add the large rocks, they won't fit in. If you start with the large rocks and pour the pebbles over them, they all fit just fine into the cracks. The large rocks are the important things in this life that our Lord would have us focusing on. The pebbles are the little things that fill our days.

Last night I was cutting out a new summer dress. I promise I have almost finished my apron but my sweet little sister ran off to a birthday party yesterday and didn't want me to make any progress without her, so I promise I have an excuse for not finishing it yet :) ! Now, back to my dress. :) My mom said to me "first pin on the 2 big pieces of the dress to make sure you have enough room for them, and then fit in the little ones." My thoughts immediately returned to what the Lord has been teaching me. Interesting...

It is the issue of evaluating my priorities and living my life by focusing on the things that are most important. Late at night, a few days ago, I started thinking about my life and what things I have been keeping busy with. I felt the Lord was telling me to stop and take a look at my life. I grabbed a notebook and a pen and started to write down the things that I knew should be at the very top of the list. My journal is rather personal :) but I'd like to share a few things with you. "I've decided tonight that I must write down my priorities. I feel that the lesser is overtaking the greater and I believe the Lord wants me to sit back and reprioritize."

I have a list of things in my mind that I know the Lord has clearly shown me to focus on and to accomplish. These things are of much greater value than the less important things.
Once I wrote that list, it was also very obvious to me, what things I was and was not getting to. I was not going to share this list with you because I know all of our lists will be very different. However, sometimes I am frustrated with articles and speakers when they say "I won't go into any specifics" and I'm left rather unsure of what they're even talking about. The greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. So, at the top of my list is my relationship with the Lord. Included in this would be such things as Bible reading, prayer, memorization, meditation etc.

Another important one for me would be my influence on my precious little sister.
We prayed for her for a solid five years! I don't want to neglect her now! If I encourage her to memorize with me, she will do it, and with great excitement! But it is so easy to get busy...(my mom says that every verse she ever memorized in childhood she still knows perfectly, but, sadly there weren't very many! :( )
Next, I have about five more priorities the Lord would have me busy with in my home.

Then I decided that it would be a good idea to write out the lower priorities, so I could see clearly what I should not be wasting my time with. Here are some thoughts from my quiet time.
"After reading 2nd Timothy, the Lord clearly showed me my life.
The things that I have done that have been honoring to Jesus, but also the things that I can get so easily distracted with and caught up in, such as enjoying too much the pleasures of this world." (for example, in my life, emailing, shopping, time on the phone, too much time with friends, good DVD's and videos, and more)

I started to think about being a true soldier and servant of Christ and the way that I must live. 2 Timothy 2:4 "No man that wars entangles himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier."

2 Timothy 2:20-22
"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified , and meet for the Master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart."


Oh, may we seek the Lord for His strength and help to reform our ways of living and start living the way that the Lord God would want us to live, having that eternal mindset, not seeking to entertain or please ourselves, but rather to live a life well pleasing and honoring to the Lord Jesus Christ.

I don't want to live with any regrets about what I should have done, that is why I am taking the time to really look at my life. I would encourage you, if the Lord so directs, to do the same!

Hebrews 3:13
"But exhort one another daily, while it is called today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin."

Blessings as you seek to reprioritize,
Kelly

Psalm 27:8
"When thou said, seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, thy face Lord will I seek."

5 comments:

Evann said...

Hi Kelly - thank you so much for posting this. It is so convicting!! I'm really impassioned now to reprioritize my life. Thank you so much!

Victoria said...

Kelly-

I have been learning a very similar principle from the Lord lately.

It sounds like you are making great progress, but I just felt led to share something that really encouraged, inspired, and challenged me in this area.

Here is a link, and it is well worth the time you will spend checking it out. Basically it will encourage you to define the roles God intends for you to fulfill during this season in your life and pursue Biblical Productivity to serve Him through them.

I've been learning that God doesn't ask His people to be merely "busy", He intends for them to be productive people laboring for His Kingdom.

http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/Blog/post/Biblical-Productivity-Series-PDF.aspx

-Victoria

allhisgirl said...

Wow, thanks! I really love the illustration you gave. Very thought provoking and challenging.

Kelly said...

Victoria, It's too late for me to read this tonight but it looks really excellent. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Keilah said...

Kelly,

Your post was very good! My family and I have been focusing on reprioritizing our lives as well. In fact, during family devotions we have started reading the same series that Victoria mentions (she got here first!).
I would encourage you to read it too! What I am learning right now is that even if I am busy, I might not be productive! I might actually be lazy in my business! So I have been cutting down on things as well. :cD

Thank you so much!

Your friend,
Keilah

About

This blog is the place where four sisters share the ways that God is working in their lives.

Contact Daughters Of Vision

Please contact us through comments! Thank you. ~Daughters of Vision