The Cruise of Life




 
Posted by Picasa


We have recently been reading a book that was left to us by our dear grandmother who went to be with the Lord 18 years ago today. It is called Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman and was written by Anne Ortlund in 1977. In the 5th chapter, she wrote a portion that really struck me.
"...we were cruising the Mediterranean - 160 of us on our hired ship. In the morning all 160 of would wake up, eat our meals, enjoy each other, go to bed at night, and wake up to another morning. All would seem the same: our shoes were in the same place in the closet; we looked the same to each other. But all was not the same.
All 160 of us were in a new place each morning, a different spot in the Mediterranean
than we'd ever been before.
So we live our lives. We go through the motions of a day and go to bed at night and wake up to another morning, and we may feel as if we're in the same place. BUT WE'RE NOT. We'll never again be where we were yesterday. And we've moved into brand-new fresh territory."
There are lots of applications for this but I believe I'll just let it speak for itself. You tend to notice these things more in the context of major life events, but really it all holds true for all of us.

 
Posted by Picasa



On a personal note, spring is here. The weather is beautiful although it was beautiful pretty much all winter! We just killed our first snake about 15 minutes ago and that is a sure sign of spring!
We are excited about the conference which is coming up soon!
We will miss those of you who live too far away to make the trip.
We pray that our Lord would have his hand of blessing on this special time and that it would be an encouragement to many.

How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver! Proverbs 16:16

Blessings, Tara and Kelly

9 comments:

Keilah said...

Amen! That is amazing. You are so right: It does apply to so many areas of life. Thank you so much for posting this.

Smiling Big,
Keilah

Lauren said...

What a wonderful analogy with the cruise ship! I will definitely apply that! Isn't it precious to read a book your grandmother read? I treasure all of my grandma's books and her notes in the margins!
On a side note, what beautiful roses--I can feast my eyes on them all day! :-)

Victoria said...

What a great thought! I think I'll keep my eye out for a copy of that book. Thanks for sharing!

Mikaela said...

What a practical analogy! Thanks for sharing!
Oh--and the picture of Stephen and Elizabeth was priceless. ;-)

Cheri said...

I recently stumbled upon your blog, and I just wanted to say what a blessing it has been to me. From your posts and pictures, it is very evident that your lives radiate the Lord, and it speaks volumes!

Lillibeth said...

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that your Biblical Womanhood link was broken.

I enjoy looking at your blog!
-Mrs. Humphrey
www.thepleasanttimes.blogspot.com

Dearest Tara,

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the partial chapter in that book! It was very good! Thank you so much! :)

I can't wait to see you at the conference in April!!

Much Love,
~Emily

Sarah said...

Tara,

You may not remember me butI met you last year at the Christian Heritage conference in WA. My mother sisters and I visited after the dinner together. Anyway, I would love to get your e-mail address! Mine is joyfllyservingHim@gamil.com

God bless!
Sarah C.

Anonymous said...

Oh! How sweet Elizabeth looks with her doll!
Stephen and her look sound asleep!
How cute!
I love the flowers!
Love,
Jenny

About

This blog is the place where four sisters share the ways that God is working in their lives.

Contact Daughters Of Vision

Please contact us through comments! Thank you. ~Daughters of Vision