Special Words from Reuben



How exciting! Our wonderful brother Reuben agreed to write a post for us! Thank you Reuben!
(And there he is, holding his precious but skinny little son.)



Reuben ~"This past week I had the privilege of witnessing one of the most precious weddings ever. It is difficult to describe but I will try. Words like majestic come to mind. I also think of the words glorious, God-honoring and beautiful. The marriage of a godly man and a godly woman is an encouragement and an inspiration and truly, truly a delight.
When I was single, I would hear from others just how wonderful marriage was. I knew this was true in my heart and mind but I could not understand it fully until I had experienced it personally. Now, seven years down the road, my testimony is this; marriage is still sweeter, still more wonderful, still glorious.

The Lord is good, all the time and in every way. He has worked and is working through my imperfections and faults, maturing me into a better man and making my wife into a better woman. He has indeed used our marriage as a means of molding us into His image. My expectation is that 10, 20, 30 or more years from now or as long as God gives us life, our marriage will still be that sweet and glorious refrain giving praise to the almighty God.


"Dear reader, marriage is so wonderfully good. It is a heaven - inspired institution.
Is it any wonder then why God chose this relationship to represent the still greater, higher relationship of Christ to His church? Christ, our bridegroom is coming again! He has gone
away to prepare a place for us that where He is, we may be also. (John 14:2-3)
But what of His bride? She is in a time of preparation for her heavenly bridegroom.
I know in my heart and mind that this union will be glorious and I look forward to experiencing it personally in all of its fullness! (I Thess. 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.)

Now here are some questions for the bride-in-waiting.
  • Am I using my years of singleness for the glory of God? (Ecc. 12:1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.)
  • Am I keeping myself pure in body and mind for my future husband and ultimately for the Lord Jesus Christ?
  • Are the friends I choose encouraging my walk with God or are they a hindrance to it?
  • Do the books I read and the movies I watch encourage pureness in my heart?
  • Am I known as a flirt or as a modest and sober person?
  • Am I actively looking for ways to serve my family?
  • When others look at my life, do they see joy or discontentment?
  • What skills and talents am I developing that will be beneficial to my future husband and home?
  • Is my relationship with God vibrant? Do I spend time worshipping the Lord and seeking His face?
  • How is my relationship with my earthly father?
  • Do I have a tendency to see/make myself a victim of my circumstances or do I allow God to sharpen my focus upon Him that I might triumph in faith?
He is faithful! The Lord's blessing be upon you! ~Reuben~

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tara,

What a wonderful blessing you will be to your Husband. I just want to encourage you to think this. Stephen might have gained a jewel in you, but you have gained a King in Him. Honor him and love with all you life you and strength. God bless you both

Your Sister in Christ,

Hannah Joy

Mikaela said...

Thank you for the wonderful encouragement, Reuben! I so greatly appreciate your testimony of marriage, your emphasis on the supreme picture of the church uniting with Jesus, and your challenging questions. It is my desire and delight to make the most of my single years in a sober, chaste, and Godly manner!
Kelly--after watching most of the wedding, I was so touched by the music! Was all of it live (and if so, where were all the instruments)? Also, I'd love to hear the pieces that were selected, since they were all so appropriate, reflecting and honoring God.

Laura said...

I am exceedingly convicted... thank you!

~Miss Raquel said...

Thank you for sharing, Reuben. It was very encouraging to read. Congratulations on 7 years :)
Tara, you are so beautiful...the love of the LORD shines through your countenance and I can see that you were/are so happy. Congratulations, dear!!
Many blessings...
hugs,
~Miss Raquel

Kelly said...

Mikaela, Yes, the music was all live.
There was an organist, a pianist, a flutist and a trumpeter. Except for the organist, they are all dear friends of ours. The organist is to the left. The piano is on the right and the flutist and trumpeter are behind the organ. Some of the music was Gabriel's Oboe, My Shepherd medly, Trumpet Voluntare, the processional was Rejoicing for Denae,
How Deep the Fathers Love For Us,
Our Wedding Day, The Lord Bless You and Keep You, Water Music
We have another recording and the the music is so much better and clearer.

Rachel P. said...

Wow, Reuben, I can see why your "sisters" all love you so much! That was a really sweet note on marriage.
Personally, thanks for the questions for preparing-future-brides to ask of themselves. "She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12

Anonymous said...

Tara,
I have been following your blog for about 3 months now, and it has been so much fun to watch you through your marriage journey. Now that you have your very own king to serve, I look forward to reading about your experiences as a wife(and mother!)
May you be blessed as you fulfill Stephen's hopes, needs, and dreams,
A fellow sister in Christ,

P.S. One request I might make about your blog: More wedding pics that include your husband...I only saw three or so and would like to fully enjoy Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Craig!

Anonymous said...

Tara,
I have been following your blog for about 3 months now, and it has been so much fun to watch you through your marriage journey. Now that you have your very own king to serve, I look forward to reading about your experiences as a wife(and mother!)
May you be blessed as you fulfill Stephen's hopes, needs, and dreams,
A follow sister in Christ,

P.S. One request I might make about your blog: More wedding pics that include your husband...I only saw three or so and would like to fully enjoy Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Craig!

Kelly said...

Dear Anon,
I'm afraid we only have the pictures we have as our dad WAS carrying a camera but as the father of the bride, he was NOT suppose to be using it! We don't want to post too many pictures and make everyone tired of it, but maybe over time we will have some new ones.

Kelly said...

Forgot to say, I believe we all look forward to some updates from Tara soon!

Anonymous said...

"He who fins a wife fins a good thing" , and obtaineth favour of the LORD. Proverbs 18:22
May He bless you on this exciting journey of marriage!
A sister in our Lord

Lauren said...

Thank you Reuben, for your words of wisdom! They challenged and encouraged me, and I am so grateful for you taking the time to share with us!

Lydia Jane said...

So looking forward to an update and more pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Riddle Girls,

I am a 18 year old young ladie in Christ I live with my rather wordly Aunt and Uncle (I don't have any Parents). I just found your blog and have read a lot of your posts. I have a young guy who is interested in me and I was wondering if you could do a post on your thoughts on Dating, Make-up, Pants, and Kissing before your married? I do not have a ceratin view and I would like to have that before I enter into Dating with this guy.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Melia Joy Johnson

P.S. He is 6 months younger than me, but I really really like HIM!

Kelly said...

This sounds like there will be an interesting post coming up.
Would you believe that I am celebrating my birthday today and tomorrow? As soon as I can though, I'll share some thoughts. Just remember that you are very young and every decision affects your entire life. We'll talk soon! Kelly

this is most encouraging, and thank you so much for including the questions at the end!

SarahLee said...

Kelly,
Thank you for posting these words of wisdom from your "brother-in-love." They are very encouraging for those of us still single.
Just thought I'd tell you that a family from VA moved to town this week. They showed me album from their Bright Lights group and photos from a Maiden's Quest they attended!!! They said they provided the harp for Katrina to play there. I was so excited - I said, "You met the Riddells?!" A small world!! They are so sweet. I thought I'd let you know...your work is still living on in the lives of young Christian girls!
Blessings,
Sarah

Congratulations to your family! I just found your blog. But I had seen you before in Virtuous Daughters! It was very neat finding your blog!

~Desiree~

Anonymous said...

Is everything okay? It's been so many weeks since the wedding...we'd love an update =)

Karen said...

I've been avoiding coming here for a while...but I knew I need to come see how thing were. Thanks Reuben, and Tara...I really miss you! However, I know you are happy and where God wants you. Love you and Stephen both!
Karen

Rachel said...

Hello! I followed a link from Katrina Rebsch's blog - I thought I recognized your name from HopeChest days and thought it would be fun to stop by. :) God bless you!

About

This blog is the place where four sisters share the ways that God is working in their lives.

Contact Daughters Of Vision

Please contact us through comments! Thank you. ~Daughters of Vision