Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15

My grandfather, my dad's father (our Pepaw) left this world on the 5th of this month
 to be with our Lord and Savior in heaven.


My family and I just returned home from California where my grandfather was honored with a beautiful memorial service on Saturday and a military burial on Monday. He served his country as a pilot in the United States Air Force for 22 yrs.

Looking at my grandfather in the casket was one of the hardest times in my life. It reminded me once again about the frailty of life and the shortness of time that each of us are given to serve our Lord on this earth.
May we flee from rebellion, foolishness, bitterness and squandering the opportunities given to us by our precious Lord and Savior. May we use these years for the honor and glory that is due to the One who gives us our breath.
 Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
 His love for Christ was evident and I am so glad that we know where he is dwelling right now. Psalm 73:25-26
"Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

         I love you so very much Grandma and pray for God to heal your broken heart.
                                 He will heal all of our hearts...it will just take time.
                                      As I heard on the movie Courageous, 
"losing a loved one is like learning to live with an amputation, you do heal, but you are never the same."  
                               Psalm 30:5
                " Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."



I was privileged to sing a tribute in song for my grandfather.
I thank the Lord for the strength, peace and grace that He gave me to hold my emotions together as I sang. . 

My dad delivered a moving speech, honoring his father and delivering my grandfather's dying words to us all.
I had the pleasure about a month ago of flying out to California with my dad
 to help my grandparents move into a new retirement community. My Grandfather was recovering from pneumonia and was on a steady uphill climb. He had decided to move out of his big house and scale down to a more manageable one. I was in charge of doing the interior decorating for their new house.
As we were wrapping up the details and our trip was coming to an end, Pepaw came down with a fever and was admitted to the E.R. with a staph infection and trouble breathing.
I went into his room and told him all about the new place that my uncle and aunt, dad and I had prepared for him and Grandma. I asked if I could pray with him and he said that he would love it if I would.
I did so and thanked the Lord for giving me such a precious grandfather .After doing so, with a look in his eyes as if he knew he might never see me again, he said, I love you, so so much.
 Even being as weak as he was lying there in that hospital bed he mustered all his strength, pulled my hand to his mouth and kissed it. Little did I know that it would be the last time that I would see him.


It was a total and complete privilege being his granddaughter. 
I will never forget my name that Pepaw would always call me...
 "Kelly Girl"

My prayers and heart go out to my dad who is in the middle of dealing with all of the emotions that a son experiences in saying goodbye to a father. I'm afraid no matter where you are in life or whether you are expecting it or not, the void, pain and heartache will just be there.

I am in prayer also for my uncle Clark (above left) and aunts Carolyn and Tracy who are feeling the loss and separation from their dad as well as our many relatives and friends.

Let this be a lesson, to fully appreciate, value and cherish each and every moment that God so graciously gives us with our loved ones. Just like I did not know and was unaware of the short time that I had left with my grandfather, so each of us is unaware of just how many days we have with our earthly companions. 
Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."


The night of my grandfather's passing I didn't sleep much but God's peace was there all the way.
 Laying in the dark on my bed, I had a beautiful picture of Pepaw being lifted by our Lord from his sick and dying body and suddenly being overwhelmed by the beautiful and glorious face of our Savior. Picturing my grandfather kneeling and thanking the Lord for His nail scarred hands, enveloped in perfect peace and comfort as he rests in the arms of Jesus who loved him so much, was a great comfort.


My Pepaw was always a pleasure and a joy to be with and had a very personable way of relating to his grandchildren. He always had an encouraging word to say, a cheerful spirit to add to any day, a servant's heart towards others. My mother testifies that in 40 years of knowing him, he was always loving and supportive and he never said an unkind word to her, even once. He was truly a man of remarkable character.

 I know that all of this was Christ’s work in him as he allowed God to conform and
 mold him into the image of His Son.
 He was such an inspiration to me, being the man of faith that he was.


 (Pepaw) your life was full of loving deeds,
Forever thoughtful of our special needs,
Today and tomorrow, my whole life through,
We will always love and cherish you 
-Anon

"God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things have passed away." Revelation 21:4

12 comments:

Lauren said...

Kelly, thank you for sharing this precious tribute of this man who meant so much to you! I know how painful it is to go through this, and I lift you, your Grandma, and your whole family up in my prayers. What a very special last visit God gave you with him as well!

Kelly, I've been reading your blog for a few months now and have been very encouraged by your dedication to the Lord.
I understand what you're going through at this time; my grandma (my last living grandparent) passed away a few months ago. Each of the 4 times I've gone through this, the Lord has been more than faithful ...just like you said, giving abundant peace.
I'll be praying for you and your family during your time of sorrow.
Kelley Wagner

Mikaela said...

This is not easy, and there's nothing I can say to lessen the pain. Just keep praying through it, writing about it, crying over it. Now is the time to grieve, and our precious Lord will be more than faithful to comfort and sustain you and your family during the coming weeks ahead.

Kelly said...

Dear Lauren,
Thank you so very much for your prayers. It means so much to me. May the Lord richly bless you for your words of comfort to me at this time. I do praise the Lord and thank him again and again for giving me the closure time that I had with him before he passed away. It meant so much to me and will be memories that I will always hold near and dear to my heart.

Kelly said...

Dear Kelley,
Hello to you.
I always enjoy hearing from other fellow sisters in the Lord who share the same name that I have.
I praise the Lord that He has used this blog in your life to be an encouragement to you. That is my prayer and desire, so thank you for taking the time to share that with me. Also, I very much appreciate your dear words of encouragement at this time. My deepest sympathy to you in the loss of your grandparents. What a beautiful testimony you have to share with others about the faithfulness and peace of God upon your life during your loss. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Kelly said...

Dear Mikaela,
What sweet and precious words you shared. It blesses me more than you know. I am grateful and so thankful for the encouragement that you have been to me during this time.
The Lord is so faithful and brings along just the right people to share exactly what I need to hear. So thank you for allowing the Lord to use you in my life for the encouragement that I needed today.

Dear Kelly, I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. This post is such a beautiful tribute to his life and the love your family shares in Christ! Praying for you, Kelsie

We are so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in our prayers. Thank you for sharing the godly character in your grandfather. What an amazing man of God. Your love and respect for him is a blessing to others. Thank you for the touching blog post. We love you,
~Dani, Amanda, Emily and Hannah

Steffie said...

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for sharing this publicly, and may the Lord receive honor through what you said.
I know how painful it is, when it feels that life will never be the same again. Truly I can testify that your grandfather's death is not in vain, it reminded me today, after I read your father tribute as well, that life is truly a vapor and I ought to not live anymore with my eyes on fleeting things and vanity, and hold my dreams as more precious than the Lord's plans.

"Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last and when I die how glad I shall be if the lamp of my life has burned out for Thee !"

Thank you so much, Kelly.

Kelly said...

Dear Kelsie,
What a huge blessing it was to hear from you!!! I pray that you are doing well. Thank you so much for your precious words and for the prayers you are praying. It means so much to me and blesses me so much. I am praying for you as well as you continue to serve and minister to the people and country that God has called you and your sweet family to.
Hugs to you,
Kelly

Kelly said...

Dear Dani, Amanda, Emily and Hannah,
What a blessing it is to me to hear from you all! Thank you so much for your kind words and for your prayers.
I am grateful for each of you and the blessing you are to me and so many others. Love and hugs...

Kelly said...

Dear Steffie,
It was such a huge honor for me to write these words about my grandfather. Thank you so much for your testimony and taking the time to share what God has done in your life.
You blessed and encouraged me with your words of comfort and the beautiful poem that you shared.
Blessings.

About

This blog is the place where four sisters share the ways that God is working in their lives.

Contact Daughters Of Vision

Please contact us through comments! Thank you. ~Daughters of Vision